With the aim of easing children into the primary school setting, our Pre-Primary Creative Writing Class provides children with early exposure to basic grammar rules, advanced phonetic training and encourages the application of them via fun and meaningful writing activities.
An early exposure to basic grammar rules is crucial for learners to have a headstart in their journey of language acquisition. Children get a good glimpse of how the English Language works and understand what is required of them in the years to come. Being equipped with such confidence would ease their transition into primary school, making their new learning journey less daunting.
- Mastery of all Jolly Phonics sounds
- Blending/Segmenting of words with consonant blends
- Blending/Segmenting of words with digraphs
- Identifying/Spelling digraphs and their alternative spelling (e.g. ai/ay/a-e)
- Identifying/spelling of 72 Jolly Phonics Tricky Words + Dictation Sentences
- Introduction to basic grammar rules e.g. nouns/plurals/subject-verb agreement
- Application of grammar rules in meaningful worksheets & composition
- Convey thoughts into creative writing via various topics e.g. description of experience, reflection, story-telling, changing elements in classic tales, letter-writing
- Learning/Applying the use of mindmap in the planning of a story
- Use of art & craft for expression/representation of ideas and thoughts needed for writing
- Hone overall reading and writing fluency